[ << Back ]
Naked Photos of John Candy are available at MaleStars.com.
They currently feature over 65,000 Nude Pics, Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews of famous stars.
who appeared with John Candy on screen:
Birthday: October 31, 1950
Place: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Height: 6' 2"
is a complete filmography (list of movies he's appeared in) for
John Candy. If you have any corrections or additions, please email
us at email@example.com.
We'd also be interested in any trivia or other information you have.
| Canadian comic actor John Candy was geared toward a performing career even while studying for a journalism degree in college. Candy's bulky frame and built-in likability enabled him to secure small roles in Canadian film and TV productions. In the early '70s, Candy joined Canada's Second City Troupe, sharing the spotlight with such potent talent (and subsequent close friends) as Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, Dave Thomas, Andrea Martin, and Catherine O'Hara. Second City TV, popularly known as SCTV, entered the Canadian TV airwaves in 1975 and was syndicated to the United States two years later. Candy scored an instant hit with such characters as porcine poseur Johnny LaRue, overly unctuous talk show sidekick William B., and ever-grinning "Lutonian" musician Yosh Shmenge. So popular did Candy become that suddenly many of his obscurer pre-starring Canadian films (It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time, The Clown Murders) became hot properties on the video rental circuit. Candy stayed with the various SCTV syndicated and network programs until 1983, earning two Emmys in the process. One of the few genuine nice guys in the realm of comedy, Candy was beloved by both co-workers and fans — even when this lovability was stretched to the breaking point in substandard films. He scored in supporting roles (Splash , Brewster's Millions ), but such thinnish starring features as Summer Rental (1985) and Who's Harry Crumb (1989) seemed to suggest that Candy couldn't carry a film by himself. Then he starred in Uncle Buck (1989), a disarming comedy about a ne'er-do-well with hidden nobility. Receiving relatively little promotion, Uncle Buck was a surprise hit, and stands today as perhaps Candy's best-ever vehicle after Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Unfortunately, most of his follow-up films were on a par with the disastrous Nothing but Trouble (1990) and Delirious (1992). At the same time, Candy's leading role in Only the Lonely (1991) and his supporting performance in JFK (1992) proved that a major talent was being squandered by the film industry. Candy was as frustrated as his fans, manifesting this frustration in excessive eating, drinking, and smoking. The actor's superlative seriocomic turn as a disgraced Olympic star in Cool Runnings (1993), which Candy also co-produced, seemed to point toward a career upswing. But while filming Wagons East in Mexico, 43-year-old John Candy suffered a heart attack and died in his sleep. Wagons East was released in the summer of 1994, utilizing Candy's existing footage as well as possible; it proved, sadly, an inadequate epitaph for one of film comedy's funniest and most ingratiating stars.
- The musical group Ween dedicated their 1994 LP, 'Chocolate And Cheese', to him.
- Interred at Holy Cross Cemetery, Culver City, California, USA in the Mausoleum, Room 7, Block 1.
- He was a co-owner of the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League
- He died while filming Wagons East (1994) in Mexico.
- He was part of the group Northern Lights who sang the song "Tears Are Not Enough" which was on the We Are The World album.
- He has a cameo in Ray Parker Jr.'s "Ghostbusters" music video.
- Father of Jennifer Candy and Christopher Candy.
- He attended Holy Cross Catholic School up to grade 8 which was the same school attended by actress Natalie Higashi, several years later.
- Graduated Neil McNeil Catholic Secondary School.
- He was born in East York (which is a suburb of Toronto) and he attended high school in Scarborough (another suburb of Toronto).
- Turned down repeated offers to join "Saturday Night Live," citing devotion to his fellow SCTV castmembers.
- Has appeared in 10 movies with SNL Alumni, more than any other non-SNL actor.
- He stayed in the notorious Whidden Hall residence during his years at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario.
- His father, Sidney, died of a heart attack at age 35 in 1955 when John was only five years old.
- Biography in: "Who's Who in Comedy" by Ronald L. Smith. Pg. 87-88. New York: Facts on File, 1992. ISBN 0816023387
- Weighed over 300 pounds for most of his life.
- Turned down the role of Louis Tully in _Ghostbusters_(1984) . The part went to Rick Moranis instead.
- According to actress Maureen O'Hara, just before going to Mexico, John talked to her on the phone and told her that he fears going to Mexico because he feels that "Something bad is going to happen there".
- Has appeared in more John Hughes movies than any other actor. He's starred and cameoed (brief appearances) in a total of seven of Hughes' films. Starting with National Lampoon's Vacation (1983), Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987) costarring Steve Martin, The Great Outdoors (1988), costarring Dan Aykroyd; appears in a small cameo in She's Having a Baby (1988). Stars in Uncle Buck (1989), costarring a young Macaulay Culkin. Has a brief cameo in Career Opportunities (1990)_ , and a bit part alongside 'SCTV' alumni and best friend - Catherine O'Hara in Home Alone (1990), also starring Macaulay Culkin.
- Sat in the front row for Super Bowl XXIII (49ers vs. Bengals).
- Was supposed to host "Saturday Night Live" (1975) with Eugene Levy in 1985 (he, Levy and Billy Crystal did a promo for it on SNL the week before it was supposed to happen), but that episode never happened, due to a writer's strike shortly after the promo was aired.
- Pictured on one of four 51¢ Canadian commemorative postage stamps honoring "Canadians in Hollywood", issued 22 May 2006. Others honored in this set are Fay Wray, Lorne Greene, and Mary Pickford.
- Was a good friend of Wayne Gretzky and was co-owner of the Toronto Argonauts with him.
Naked Photos of John Candy are available at MaleStars.com. They
currently feature over 65,000 Nude Pics, Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews of famous stars.