[ << Back ]
Naked Photos of River Phoenix are available at MaleStars.com.
They currently feature over 65,000 Nude Pics, Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews of famous stars.
who appeared with River Phoenix on screen:
Birthday: August 23, 1970
Place: Madras, Oregon, USA
Height: 5' 1"
is a complete filmography (list of movies he's appeared in) for
River Phoenix. If you have any corrections or additions, please email
us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We'd also be interested in any trivia or other information you have.
His father John had been a carpenter, his mother Arlyn a secretary in the Bronx. They met in California in 1968 where they worked as itinerant fruit pickers. By the time River was two they were members of the Children of God, living in South America, where John was the sect's "Archbishop of Venezuela". In 1977 they moved to Los Angeles and changed their name to Phoenix. His parents encouraged all their children to get into movies, and by age ten River was acting professionally on TV. His film debut was in Explorers (1985), followed rapidly by box-office successes with Stand by Me (1986) and The Mosquito Coast (1986) and as young Indiana in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989). His role as Danny Pope in Running on Empty (1988) earned him an Academy Award nomination as Best Supporting Actor. His best role was probably Mike, the hustler in My Own Private Idaho (1991). He died aged 23 outside Johnny Depp's Los Angeles club, the Viper Room.
- The song "Transcending" on The Red Hot Chili Peppers album "One Hot Minute" is dedicated to River Phoenix.
- Sings a song on John Frusciante's album "Smile from the Streets You Hold."
- Ranked #86 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list. [October 1997]
- The 1994 R.E.M. album "Monster" is dedicated "for River" in the liner notes (lead singer Michael Stipe was friends with him).
- Born at 12.10 pm-PDT
- He was supposed to be the interviewer in Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994) but died. Christian Slater took his place, and donated his entire paycheck from the movie to all of River's favorite charities.
- He was almost definitely set to star as Izzy Singer in Safe Passage (1994). Sean Astin got the part after River's death.
- Brother of Joaquin Phoenix, Summer Phoenix, Rain Phoenix and Liberty Phoenix.
- Was a vegan.
- Dated actresses Martha Plimpton and Samantha Mathis and dated Suzanne Solgot.
- Natalie Merchant wrote a song, "River", which is in memory of him.
- Was set to star in Total Eclipse (1995), the story of a young gay poet. After River died the part was given to Leonardo DiCaprio.
- His date to Johnny Depp's club the evening he died was actress Samantha Mathis.
- Listed as one of twelve "Promising New Actors of 1986" in John Willis' Screen World, Vol. 38.
- Ashes scattered at family's Florida Ranch.
- The famous Brazilian singer and song writer Milton Nascimento wrote a song called "River Phoenix," years before River's death. Milton was quite impressed with his performance in Stand by Me (1986) and decided to write a song in reverence of River's talent. When he got to know about the song, he came to Brazil and spent some days in Milton Nascimento's country home. After that first contact, they became good friends.
- Born in a log cabin in Oregon.
- He disliked flying and traveled everywhere by car or train.
- Nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his work in Sidney Lumet's Running on Empty (1988), Phoenix lost out to Kevin Kline for his performance in A Fish Called Wanda (1988). At the time of the Academy Awards ceremony in March, 1989, Kline and Phoenix were filming the movie, 'I Love You To Death.' Sitting in the audience, Phoenix applauded enthusiastically when his co-star's name was announced as the winner.
- Phoenix, who'd been playing the guitar since childhood, had his own band with his sister, Rain Phoenix, called Aleka's Attic.
- My Own Private Idaho (1991) director (and close friend of River) Gus Van Sant published a novel in 1997 titled 'Pink' which is a loosely disguised fantasy homage to his late friend. Van Sant's movie Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (1993) also includes a dedication of "For River" during the opening credits.
- River recorded an album the summer before his death titled 'Never Odd Or Even' (the title is a palindrome) which has never been released. A friend of his named Sasa Raphael (who worked with River on the album and played bass in River's band Aleka's Attic) almost succeeded in making the album available for free download on the internet in the summer of 2000 (on the anniversary of what would've been River's 30th birthday), but was later sued by the River Phoenix Estate for copyright reasons.
- His parents named him River after the river of life in Hermann Hesse's classic spiritual novel "Siddhartha," and Jude (his middle name) after The Beatles' song "Hey Jude."
- Ranked #69 on '100 Greatest Movie Stars' on Channel 4 (UK)
- River's last words (to the reporter trying to help him outside the Viper Room) were 'no paparazzi, I want anonymity'. His last request was not granted. The day before his cremation in Florida, a reporter broke into the funeral home, rearranged the body, and took a picture. This picture was later to be sold to the National Enquirer for ,000.
- Was an involved environmentalist and bought up several hundred acres of rain forest in Costa Rica and Brazil, not to develop them, but to just keep them so they would not be cut down.
- Rufus Wainwright's song "Matinee Idol" is about him.
- Died on the same day as Federico Fellini.
- Collected baseball jerseys
- Claimed he had a vision of his future wife, and would meet and marry her in 2002. He carried a composite sketch of what he thought she'd look like.
- Often drank warm soda, such as Coke or Dr. Pepper, before going on camera.
- He was a very talented writer, songwriter and sketch artist. Often wrote songs when he was driving to work.
- Was a classmate of singer Anastacia
- Is one of only three actors to have played the son of, and the younger version of the same actor, by playing Harrison Ford's son and playing Indiana Jones. The other is Bruno Kirby, who played Richard S. Castellano's son on "The Super" (1972), and the young Clemenza in The Godfather: Part II (1974). Logan Lerman played the son of Mel Gibson in The Patriot and played the younger Nick Marshall in What a Woman Wants.
- Two of his nephews have been posthumously named for him. His sister, Liberty Phoenix, gave birth to a son named Rio Everest Phoenix. Rio is Spanish for River. His other sister, Summer Phoenix, gave birth to a son, Indiana Affleck. River played Indiana Jones in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989).
- His death is listed as #16 in the top 101 events in "E!: 101 Most Shocking Moments in Entertainment".
- In total thus far, he now has 4 nephews and a niece. Jonas Winter, born February 7th, 1993, to younger sister Rain Phoenix, Rio Everest Phoenix, born [12 June 1997], Indigo Orion Phoenix born [9 November 1999], to younger sister Liberty Phoenix, and Indiana August Affleck (May 31st, 2004) to youngest sister Summer Phoenix, and Scarlette Jasmine Phoenix-Asch born [2 July 2001] to sister Liberty Phoenix. Unfortunately, because of his early death, only Jonas had a chance to meet his uncle River, although both Liberty's oldest son Rio, and Summer's son Indiana are named after him. River died before ever having the chance to know three of his nephews and his niece.
- The band FenixTX was originally called River Fenix, but due to conflicts with the rights to his name, they were forced to change their name.
- Harrison Ford personally recommended him for the part of the young Indy in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) after working with him on The Mosquito Coast (1986). Ford stated that of all the young actors who were working at the time, River was the one who looked the most like himself when he was that age.
- Natalie Merchant wrote her song "River" as a tribute to the late actor.
- Was, to the day, 7 years older than ice-skater Nicole Bobek.
- Dated actresses Martha Plimpton, Samantha Mathis, and Suzanne Solgot.
- My Own Private Idaho (1991) director (and close friend of River) Gus Van Sant published a novel in 1997 entitled "Pink," which is a loosely disguised fantasy homage to his late friend. Van Sant's movie Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (1993) includes a dedication of "For River" during the opening credits.
- River's last words (to the reporter trying to help him outside the Viper Room) were "No paparazzi, I want anonymity." His last request was not granted. The day before his cremation in Florida, a reporter broke into the funeral home, rearranged the body, and took a picture. This picture was later to be sold to the National Enquirer for ,000.
- Is one of only three actors to have played the son of and the younger version of the same actor, by playing Harrison Ford's son and playing young Indiana Jones. The other is Bruno Kirby, who played Richard S. Castellano's son on "The Super" (1972), and the young Clemenza in The Godfather: Part II (1974). Logan Lerman played one of Mel Gibson's sons in The Patriot (2000) and the younger Nick Marshall in What Women Want (2000).
Naked Photos of River Phoenix are available at MaleStars.com. They
currently feature over 65,000 Nude Pics, Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews of famous stars.