[ << Back ]
Naked Photos of Telly Savalas are available at MaleStars.com.
They currently feature over 65,000 Nude Pics, Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews of famous stars.
who appeared with Telly Savalas on screen:
Birthday: January 21, 1922
Place: Garden City, Long Island, New York, USA
Height: 0' 0"
is a complete filmography (list of movies he's appeared in) for
Telly Savalas. If you have any corrections or additions, please email
us at email@example.com.
We'd also be interested in any trivia or other information you have.
Son of Greek immigrants. Soldier during World War II. Studied psychology. Worked as journalist for ABC News. The bald-headed actor played character roles, often as sadistic or psychotic types. He became a TV favorite in the 1970s when his role as Det. Theo Kojak in the TV movie The Marcus-Nelson Murders (1973) (TV) was expanded into the gritty "Kojak" (1973) TV series, lasting from 1973-78.
- Attended Sewanhaka High School, Floral Park, NY
- Early in his career, he played mainly brutish criminals until he changed his image completely in the 1970s when he was cast as the righteous police detective Kojak.
- He used off-script phrases and mottoes in Greek during filming.
- His brother, George Savalas, starred in "Kojak" (1973) with him.
- Father of Christina Savalas (with Katherine); Candice Savalas and Penelope Savalas (with Marilyn); Nicholas Savalas (with Sally); and Christian Savalas and Ariana Savalas (with Julie).
- On January 21 1994, he celebrated his 72nd and last birthday with his family, friends and colleagues at the Universal Sheraton Inn in Universal City, California, 1 day before his death.
- Godfather of Jennifer Aniston
- Had a fear of flying.
- Was originally slated to play Luke in Cool Hand Luke (1967), but the producers were unable to wait for him to complete his boat trip from Europe to the U.S. Therefore, Paul Newman played the role instead.
- Early in his career, he directed stage plays at a theater in Connecticut.
- He was an accomplished poker player.
- His son Nicholas' half-sister Nicollette Sheridan and his former Kojak co-star, Kevin Dobson both starred in the popular 80s soap opera, "Knots Landing" (1979).
- Before becoming an actor, he had many odd jobs, from selling newspapers to becoming a lifeguard.
- Was a member of Company C, 12th Medical Training Battalion, 4th Medical Training Regiment at Camp Pickett, Virginia.
- Was the second of 5 children.
- He had many hobbies including golfing, swimming, gambling, collecting luxury cars, spending time with his family, horse racing, motorcycle racing, watching football and reading romantic books.
- Purchased a house in the Palm Desert because he enjoyed playing golf so much.
- Interred at the George Washington Section of Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Los Angeles, California, USA.
- Attended Columbia University in New York, New York.
- When he worked as a lifeguard, he failed to save a man from drowning, and was troubled by the memory forever after.
- Was involved in a serious car accident in Virginia, during the Army.
- Met his first wife (Katherine) at a Greek dance while attending Columbia University.
- Hosted the popular radio program, "Telly's Coffeehouse," in the early 1950s.
- Top part of one of his index fingers was missing.
- The character design for villain Lex Luther in the 1996 animated Superman series was loosely based on Savalas.
- Reason why he sucked on a lolly-pop during "Kojak", was to help him to quit smoking.
- Graduated from Sewanhaka High School in Floral Park, New York, in 1942.
- Met his last wife, Julie Hovland, on the set of "Kojak", while he was traveling with her to Minnesota in 1977.
- Would always refused to talk about his tenure during World War II.
- Spoke Greek fluently
- Former stepfather of Nicollette Sheridan (Sheridan's mother is Sally Adams)
- He didn't appear in his first film until he was 37.
- Had a fear of flying. Ironically, he played a pilot in Capricorn One (1978).
- Has the distinction of playing two Alcatraz prison inmates; Feto Gomez in Birdman of Alcatraz (1962) and Cretzer in Alcatraz: The Whole Shocking Story (1980) (TV).
- Was the first choice for the role of Harry Orwell in the TV series "Harry-O". He declined due to filming commitments in Europe. David Janssen was eventually cast in the role.
- Owned a wide variety of luxury vehicles including many Cadillacs, Lincolns, Fords, Pontiacs, Mercedes and DeLoreans just to name a few.
- Loved gambling and was a very successful gambler, winning many Vegas poker tournaments and losing few.
- After portraying Pontius Pilate in The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965), he chose to remain completely bald and this signature look, somewhere between the comic and the ominous, stood him in good stead in the years that followed.
- In 1990, the city of New York declared The Marcus-Nelson Murders (1973) (TV) as the official movie of New York City, and awarded Telly with the Key to the City.
- His mother, Christina, was a world recognized contemporary of Picasso, and he himself released several records, the most remembered was his version of "If", that was #1 in Europe for 10 weeks in 1975.
- He was also a strong contributor to his Greek Orthodox roots through the Saint Sophia and Saint Nicholas cathedrals in Los Angeles, and was the sponsor of bringing electricity in the '70s to his ancestral home, Yeraka, Greece.
- Uncle of Australian-born actor Peter Cavnoudias.
- Born on the same day as Benny Hill, who impersonated his 'Kojak' character on "The Benny Hill Show" (1969).
- Enjoyed watching "Jeopardy!" (1984).
- Loved to read historical biographies and, somewhat surprisingly, romance novels.
Naked Photos of Telly Savalas are available at MaleStars.com. They
currently feature over 65,000 Nude Pics, Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews of famous stars.