[ << Back ]
Naked Photos of Tom Waits are available at MaleStars.com.
They currently feature over 65,000 Nude Pics, Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews of famous stars.
who appeared with Tom Waits on screen:
Birthday: December 7, 1949
Place: Pomona, California, USA
Height: 0' 0"
is a complete filmography (list of movies he's appeared in) for
Tom Waits. If you have any corrections or additions, please email
us at email@example.com.
We'd also be interested in any trivia or other information you have.
| Gravel-voiced, versatile singer/songwriter Tom Waits has composed and played music in a variety of films, ranging from Francis Ford Coppola's One From the Heart (1982) to Jean-Luc Godard's First Name: Carmen (1983), in addition to performing in a number of off-beat independent productions. On or off camera, Waits was a colorful, quirky character noted for his surreal humor. Many of his songs reflected his interest in movies with either direct references or sly musical suggestions. During the late '70s he became more directly involved in film, composing songs and even playing piano onscreen in Paradise Alley (1978). In the early '80s, Waits teamed up with Coppola, first with the Greek choir-like narration for One From the Heart and then as an actor in several of his films. At first, Waits had a one-line role as Buck Merrill in The Outsiders (1983). Coppola next gave Waits a bigger part as Benny in Rumble Fish (1983), and then dressed the rangy singer in a tuxedo and cast him as the MC in The Cotton Club (1984). Although he was often offered roles to play nutcases and psychos in commercial films, Waits preferred to work in independent productions such as Down by Law (1986). He entered mainstream film with 1987's offbeat drama Ironweed, and played himself in the concert film Big Time (1988), in which he performed his stage musical Frank's Wild Years and played the roles of a bored box-office manager, usher, and lighting grip. Waits also appeared in Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992).
- Close friend of Chuck E. Weiss, a fellow L.A. scenester and co-founder of The Viper Room with Johnny Depp, and frequently mentions him in lyrics and liner notes on his records.
- Close friends with the Coppola family including Nicolas Cage; often cast in Francis Ford Coppola movies.
- Frito-Lay used an unauthorized sample of his song "Step Right Up" in one of their commercials. He successfully sued for an undisclosed amount of money. Frito-Lay unsuccessfully counter-sued.
- Children: Kellesimone (b. 1983), Casey Xavier (b. 1985), Sullivan (b. 1993).
- Uses a large collection of electric megaphones to create unusual tonal effects on his recordings. One of his favorites is a 1944 vintage issued by the US Navy Bureau of Ships, manufactured by Guided Radio Corp. of New York.
- Shops at hardware stores for items to be used as percussion instruments.
- Owns obscure and custom made instruments such as a Chamberlin Music Master 600 (an analog synthesizer manufactured in the 1960s) and a photon clarinet ("[It] sounds like a keyboard lobster dying on a campfire.").
- He converted a 4 cubic yard metal box (intended as a debris dumpster) into a musical instrument called a "Strata Dumpster" (aka "Dumpstalele"). He cut a 2 foot hole into one side, and streched seven piano strings across it, fastening them with two welded bridges. The strings can be plucked, strummed or bowed. He describes the sound as "trainlike and huge, like trash day with a purpose."
- The photo on the cover of his album "Rain Dogs" includes a man who many believe to be him. It was one of a series of photos taken at the Cafe Lehmitz in Hamburg by the Swedish photographer Anders Petersen. Waits reportedly saw the photo at an exhibition, was taken by the similarity of him and the man in the photo, and asked permission from the photographer to use it as an album cover.
- His grandmother, Olga Johnsen, was from Oslo, Norway.
- Is Scottish and Irish from his father's side of the family and Norwegian from his mother's side.
- He has said that Bob Dylan is his favorite songwriter and his main influence for initially getting into music. Ironically, Dylan's more recent work has been said to be comparable to Waits' music.
- Is a good friend of Keith Richards who makes frequent appearances as a guitarist on his records.
- A big Baz Luhrmann fan.
- Bears such a striking resemblance to actor Ron Perlman that he was once credited under the name "Ron Perlman" on a movie poster.
- Being a family friend of the Coppolas, he performed at the wedding of Sofia Coppola and Spike Jonze.
- Originally slated to play one of the singing cowboys in A Prairie Home Companion (2006)
Naked Photos of Tom Waits are available at MaleStars.com. They
currently feature over 65,000 Nude Pics, Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews of famous stars.